Throughout the years we have seen younger internet users migrate from private spaces to public spaces, that are inaccessible for brands such as WhatsApp and Snapchat. The lattest one has become a leading social network with over 700 million daily shared snapshots. How can brands be part of the conversation of this platform?
A defining characteristic of these platforms is that it is private and, unlike other media, is immeasurable. Young people are avoiding channels that make them feel they have to produce content that “like” everybody so they start moving to other social media where they can be themselves, without feeling pressured to get approval. This is the case of Snapchat where images are play for a few seconds and then disappear.
This social network is making an effort to give more space to brands, so that they can communicate their messages directly interacting with their target.
Besides the function that allows users to exchange photos and videos that will self-destruct once seen, other notable aspects of this application are:
- “Stories”: Users can post photos of the last 24 hours, that remain visible throughout the day for their contacts to see it. This is where brands can make their appearance.
- “Live”: The network selects specific locations or major cultural events and users located there can upload videos or pictures that appear in live for all snapchat users. In this case brands can promote themeselves inbetween these videos or images.
- “Discover”: Editorial channels as Buzzfeed Daily Mail and inform people with current data. Brands can not be here; They are elected by Snapchat.
Elements that any strategy Marketing Snapchat should consider:
- Be sure you share your “snapcode” (a code that allows users to add you once it has been scanned) in your Facebook or Twitter profile.
- Snapchat has its own language, and brands must take risks, worrying less about production and achieving spontaneity.
- Generate value by offering exclusive content on your profile and people will follow you. Vouchers and contests work very well when it comes to generating value.
Is your brand ready to be part of this social network ?